Friday, November 4, 2016

Voting as Grading/Politics Round Up

Me, voting early!

With the seemingly-interminable 2016 US Presidential election (hopefully) terminating in just a few days on Tuesday, November 8, I thought I’d get in one more political post that includes one last point and some meta-blogging in the form of a round up of some of the political posts that have appeared on this blog in the last year and a half.


Voting as Grading Papers: An Analogy

Let’s say you're a teacher, and you get two papers.  

Donald’s paper is written in red 14-point triple spaced comic sans, follows none of the directions of the assignment, consists almost entirely of bigoted rants, incorrectly cites mainly conspiracy theory or white supremacist websites, includes a footnote in which he brags about sexual assault, and contains numerous spelling and grammatical errors.  

Hillary’s paper follows all the directions of the assignment, consists mostly of rational arguments – some of which you agree with, some of which you do not, contains a few strained metaphors and lame jokes to make it seem more relatable, cites all sources although it puts a few important things in the footnotes, and contains a few minor spelling and grammatical errors.  

Which paper do you grade more highly?  That’s who you should vote for.


Examined Worlds Politics Round-Up


The annoying thing about politics is that everyone thinks they’re right.  Including me.  Still, I try to be less annoying by not insisting that you agree that I’m right.  I honestly think the world would be a better place if we were more aware of our fallibility.  But of course I could be wrong.

Anyway, here's some of what I think about this election and politics more generally.  Agree or disagree as you will.




So there you have it.  This will probably be my last post before the election.  After next week I hope to get back to my regularly scheduled full program of science fiction and philosophy nerdery.

To my fellow Americans: I hope you will vote.  Or don't (but really you should).  Let's not fuck this up, America!

To the rest of the world: On behalf of my country, I'm really sorry about the mess.  Let's all direct our wishes for the best to the Force or whatever gods, spirits, Buddhas, Bodhisattvas, inter-dimensional entities, or extraterrestrial civilizations that may be listening.

May we all live long and prosper.

2 comments:

  1. Hey Ethan....no need to apologise, here in the UK we look at the US elections as timely respite from giving Europe Brexit.

    Lets just hope that whoever gets in has lots of "sensible" people around them to ensure that civilisation continues on and does not come to one of those annoying, abrupt halts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Indeed, let's hope for sensible people who can keep things relatively stable amongst all the political insanity of the last year.

      Delete